Have you ever read your toothpaste’s warning label? I was quite surprised when I recently did. I subsequently went to my local pharmacist to find something less harmful and without fluoride (good luck with that), and the attendant who helped me sort through all the different main brand toothpastes looked at me incredulously when I pointed out these warnings to her.
Here is the small print:
- CAUTION: Do not swallow.
- KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN UNDER 6 YEARS OF AGE.
- Children under 6 years should use only a pea-sized amount and be supervised to brush properly and not to swallow.
- If more than used for brushing is accidentally swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Centre right away.
How many times do they have to say it: DO NOT SWALLOW! And if you do, get medical help RIGHT AWAY… To think that I have been putting this stuff in my mouth every day ever since my mom (bless her) taught me how to brush my teeth…
Just out of curiosity, why don’t you also do what I did and check out a few household cleaning products to see what their warnings say. This is what I found on a common product called Hertel:
- Keep out of reach of children.
- If swallowed, call a Poison Control Centre or doctor immediately.
Just thought I’d share this with you – let me know what you think.
■ Henri Thibodeau